Tuesday, September 28, 2010

To Be Free from Fear




1 John 4:18 "There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves torment. But he that fears has not been made perfect in love."

I don't remember where it started, but for most of my life, I lived with fear. Fear of the school bully. Fear of not being accepted. Fear of dogs. Fear of failure and fear of success. I remember one incident that illustrates the foolishness of fear. There was a time when I was a paper boy, delivered the Chicago Sun Times in the morning and the Herald in the afternoon. Lived in a small neighborhood on the south side of Chicago and I would begin my route before the sun rose. One morning, as I was beginning to approach a house, I saw a shadowy figure crouched in the corner of the front lawn. The sun was just beginning to crest above the horizon. I froze. Fear gripped my heart. I stood as still as I could, waiting for him to move. After about three minutes, the sun came over the horizon enough for me to see that this menacing figure was really the silhouette of a bush. I felt stupid.

This is exactly the strategy of Satan. The Bible says that a fearful man runs when no one is pursuing, but the righteous are as bold as lions. Satan's primary weapon is intimidation. If he can get you into fear through circumstances, then he will stand back as you sabotage yourself. The only cure for fear is love. When you become convinced that God loves you and is for you, then fear will be replaced with confidence and boldness. It is perfect love that casts out fear, and God's love is the only love that is perfect. I don't know what you are afraid of, but I do know that His love is greater than your circumstance. Today, meditate on the greatness of His love for you. Allow His love to drive out the fear and let you enjoy His peace.

1 comment:

  1. Brilliantly illustrated and spoken. Thank for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete